EST PROVIDES BOTH DOSH AND DOE COMPLIANCE SERVICES
DOSH COMPLIANCE SERVICES
The Factories And Machinery (Noise Exposure) Regulations, 1989 requires the employer to carry out assessment of risk to the health of employees due to noise exposure in the work place. This includes the assessment of the provision of control measures in order to reduce noise levels to an acceptable action level established by the regulations. Failing to address this issue may result in prosecution and/or civil claims against the company.
Noise at work may be a complex issue to address. An assessment of personal exposure provides further complications due to an employee’s varied work pattern. EST offers services of professionally qualified and competent personnel who are registered with DOSH in achieving compliance with the above regulations. Our services cover the following features:
- Noise mapping through measurements at static location
- Personal dosimetry readings using state-of-the-art data logging equipment
- Allowing the employer to target resources in areas where employees are exposed to highest noise levels
- Analysis of noise level at various frequencies to provide information on types of control measure to install
The Approved Code of Practice complying with the USECHH Regulations, 2000 under the Occupational Safety And Health Act, 1994, establishes a hierarchy of control measures which the employer must use when controlling exposure to hazardous chemicals in the workplace. In. this connection, LEV systems are commonly used to remove hazardous gases, fumes, vapours and dusts from the workplace.
It is a requirement by DOSH that the engineering control equipments or systems (LEV) be inspected at least annually besides monthly checking and recording internally.
EST provides the service of examining and testing LEV for their effectiveness by well-trained hygiene technicians. Every inspection conducted is properly documented and presented to meet the DOSH requirements.
Health Act, 1994 requires the employer to make a comprehensive assessment of the risk of exposure of employees to hazardous chemicals in the workplace. Chemical Health Risk Assessment (CHRA) is a cornerstone by which compliance with the Regulations is achieved.
EST offers a complete CHRA compliance service from initial risk assessment of exposure to hazardous chemicals in the workplace, to providing advice on current control measures in use and carrying out workplace and personal exposure monitoring (as a quantitative assessment of control).
DOE COMPLIANCE SERVICES
A properly designed and executed ambient air quality monitoring program will provide valid data for many organizations, property developers, industries and government authorities to evaluate the air quality of a particular site or region. In some instances, the situations are highly complex and require detailed measurements to capture the actual scenario of ambient air quality at site. Such measurements must be carried out at carefully selected locations using precise and calibrated samplers and monitors.
EST has substantial experience in monitoring ambient air quality and is able to conduct survey for the following air quality parameters:
- Suspended Particulates (TSP and PM 1O)
- Heavy metals
- SO2, NO2, CO
- H2S, CI2
- Acid mists i.e. HCI, H2SO4, HF, HNO3, H3PO4
Since the introduction of the Environmental Quality (Clean Air) Regulations, 1978, operators of industrial facilities are required to submit emission data to the Department of Environment and relevant local authorities as proof of compliance with the statutory limits under the regulations concerned. EST provides competitively priced stack emission monitoring services using internationally recognized protocols that are conducted by qualified and trained staff.
We have extensive experience in monitoring stack flue gases. Our capability includes testing the following parameters:
- Concentration and mass emission of particulate using isokinetic sampling techniques
- Gas concentration â€“ NOx, SOx, CO, VOC’s (total and specific), O2, H2S, dioxins/furans
- Acidic gases â€“ HCI, H2SO4, HF, HNO3, H3PO4, HCN
- Heavy metals
- Hydrocarbon and volatile organic compounds e.g. benzene, toluene, xylene, ethyl-benzenes, etc.Other testing by request
Various measurement techniques have been developed for the assessment of noise emission from single or multiple sources such as industrial plants, railways, road vehicles, aircraft or construction activities as result of research on the impacts of noise on human being. EST has the capability to conduct various type of noise survey and measurement to meet the different requirement from the enforcement authorities, industries and consulting firms. The service that EST offer include:
- Measurement of overall environmental noise at site arising from multiple noise sources. Measurement parameters include:
- equivalent continuous sound pressure level LAeq
- maximum level LAmax
- minimum level LAmin
- percentile level Lax (LA5, LA10, LA50, LA9O, LA95)
- instantaneous sound pressure level, Lp
- Measurement of sound pressure levels of gas turbines or other machineries installed at specific location or within buildings. This serves as compliance measurement as well as part of the impact evaluation on environmental noise.
- Measure of sound frequencies and pressure levels for a specific environment or equipment or a combination of different equipments for abatement purposes. The objective is to identify offending sound frequency range(s) that is responsible for high noise level.
Soil is often contaminated at industrial site by various chemicals used or end product from production process, particularly at the storage and production facilities of a plant. Some of the contaminants are not only retained in the top soil but also penetrate through it, reaching the groundwater level. Therefore, it is imperative that investigation to determine the degree of soil and ground water contamination for a suspected contaminated site be conducted.
Baseline soil and groundwater survey is normally conducted before the occupation of a site for industrial purpose. EST offers the following scope of site sampling and measurement as well as laboratory testing pertaining to soil contamination and sub-soil gas measurement.
- Sampling of soil and sub soil to determine the extent of contamination
- Analysis of soil and sub-soil samples for various types of contaminations
- On-site measurement of sub-soil organic gases using pre-calibrated portable meters
- Sampling of sub-soil gases for further laboratory analysis
Groundwater study is essential to determine the existing quality of groundwater at a designated site. Baseline groundwater survey is normally conducted before the occupation of the site for industrial purposes. Subsequent and continuous monitoring of groundwater after occupation of site is an important step to evaluate and detect contaminant(s) that might penetrate through the ground and reach the groundwater level.
EST provides the following services for groundwater study:
- Permanent groundwater well installation using established protocol
- Purging of groundwater well and sampling of groundwater for various targeted contaminants using different techniques/protocols and equipments/accessories
- Appropriate preservation and handling of groundwater samples using chain-of-custody
- Conducting analysis for various types of targeted organic and in-organic contaminants using established analytical procedures
Vibration and sound are generated during rock blasting, construction, passing train and aircraft landing and taking off, etc. Vibration and sound generated from the source are propagated spherically like an elastic wave in the ground and the amplitude diminishes inversely as the distance advance from the initial spot of event. Certain amplitude of vibration and sound experienced by human can be very uncomfortable and damaging to properties.
EST is capable of carrying out vibration and sound measurement at carefully selected sites using seismography during events that generate vibration and sound for the following purpose:
- Quantitative measurement that provides and indication of what vibration and sound levels can be expected and therefore the appropriate abatement to be taken to rectify the situation
- Quantitative measurement that provides the industries or local authority a better understanding of the reasonable vibration and sound expected, so that any future contractual agreement or regulations to be considered may be realistic
Fugitive emission of hydrocarbons is common in the petroleum based industries. In order to reduce the impact of fugitive emission on the environment as well as to minimize product losses, hydrocarbon leak detection survey using intrinsically safe equipment is essential to produce data that can be used to identify and quantify emission sources within the plant.
EST has the expertise to carry out fugitive emission survey for the following purposes:
- Minimizing valuable products loss, reduces costs and maximizes profit
- Satisfying the corporate as well as local authority requirement for reduction of emission to ambient air.
Since the introduction of the Environmental Quality (Sewage And Industrial Effluents) Regulations, 1979, operators of industrial facilities are required to carry out compliance testing for treated wastewater and submit analysis data to the Department of Environment on a regular basis. For industries that are in need of a wastewater treatment plant or require upgrading of an existing treatment plant to handle a larger wastewater load, wastewater characterization study is conducted to determine the quantity and quality of the wastewater for designing or upgrading of wastewater treatment plant.
Monitoring of surface water (river, stream, pond, etc) and marine water is very often required as part of the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) study for a proposed project as well as meeting the requirements stipulated in the EIA approval during project implementation later.
EST is fully equipped and has extensive experience in conducting wastewater characteristic study, wastewater sampling for compliance purpose, various types of surface water sampling and marine water sampling using appropriate types of equipments, tools and sampling devices. All the collected samples are analysed by our in-house laboratory, namely E S Laboratories (M) Sdn. Bhd., a SAMM accredited laboratory complying to ISO 17025 requirements.
The enforcement of the Occupational Safety and Health (Use and Standards of Exposure of Chemical Hazardous to Health) Regulations 2000 under the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1994. requires exposure to chemical hazardous to health (as listed under Schedule I and Schedule II) in work places. This is to prevent the occurrence of occupational diseases, poisoning or adverse health effect.
EST has the expertise of well trained hygiene technicians who are certified by DOSH in the area of personal exposure monitoring and indoor air quality monitoring for a wide range of hazardous chemicals. We offer a comprehensive range of monitoring services, tailored to meet any or all of the requirements as follows:
- As part of general USECHH Regulation compliance to assess the performance of control measures implemented
- To quantify exposure during new process start-up
- To assess the effects of a change in process specifications
- To ensure the chemical health risk assessment is still valid
All the collected samples are analysed by our well-equipped laboratory namely E S Laboratories (M) Sdn. Bhd., a SAMM accredited laboratory complying to ISO 17025 requirements.
Laboratory testing is an important and integral part of environmental and occupational exposure monitoring. A laboratory equipped with the appropriate testing equipment and with trained personnel using the right methodologies will be able to provide valid data that can be utilized to assess the situation in question accurately. Furthermore, certifications and accreditations provide an indication of the quality and reliability of an analytical laboratory. Accrediting agencies require a continuing evaluation of the laboratory for maintenance of accreditation. All qualifying laboratories must meet strict standards designed to assist in the production of high quality data.
EST, through our associated company, E S Laboratories (M) Sdn. Bhd., operates a well-equipped testing laboratory which is accredited by the Department of Standards Malaysia, under the SAMM laboratory accreditation scheme. The said accreditation meets the requirements of ISO 17025. The fact that our laboratory is accredited for a wide range of inorganic, organic, heavy metals and other physico-chemical parameters speaks volume about its capability to analyse various types of environmental and occupational exposure samples.
To ensure its continued competency in testing, the laboratory also participates in several extra-mural/inter-laboratory cross checking exercises such as those organised by the Malaysian Chemistry Department and NATA of Australia.
EST has a pool of expertise within the company who are highly experienced in environmental and occupational management practices in Malaysia. Th is group of individuals not only possesses the technical know how in defining and solving environment and occupational & safety related problems, but are also well-versed with the local environmental/OSHA legislations and requirements. Working closely with our associated companies that provide specialized supporting services, EST is able to provide the following consultancy services:
- Environmental management plan (EMP) preparation
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
- Environmental survey/study
- Environmental permit and license application
- In-plant evaluation of pollution sources and control systems
- Air, water and noise modelling
- Chemical Health Risk Assessment (CHRA)
- Environmental auditing
Product, Services & Inspection:
- Cathodic Protection System
- Impressed Current Cathodic Protection Systems
- Cathodic Protection
- Corrosion Survey of Pipeline
- Asset Integrity Management
- Corrosion Management
- Corrosion Monitoring
- Corrosion Inhibition
- Quality Control & Inspection
- Risk Based Inspection
- Failure Analysis
- Protective Coating and Painting
- Project Management and Manpower Services
- Third Party Inspection
The key to success in today’s complex business environment is the ability to manage project efficiently and effectively. Success could only come with a team that is strongly skilled and extensively experienced in taking project from initiation to completion.
EST’s project team has deep and broad experience in using proven methodologies in providing IT solutions to meet the business needs of our clients quickly and effectively. We are your right partners in virtually any IT or consulting project that requires an immediate and productive solution to problems you encounter in your business environment.
Our IT services help you to reduce guesswork and eliminate expensive mistakes by providing software and supporting services at a very cost effective manner. The IT services we offer will simplify your IT evaluation, adoption and management along with added strategic values unavailable from other vendors.
EST’s own software engineering team constantly works on value added IT solutions that benefit the human society. We take great pain to ensure our products or solutions delivered are in the best interest of our clients. Hence, we are always committed to strive for the best and affordable in software development and services.
SPECIFIC ENTERPRISE APPLICATIONS/SOLUTIONS
- Enterprise Asset Management
- Enterprise Resource Planning
- Customer Relationship Managemen